For years I have been boycotting
Turkey and Turkish Airlines after the brutal clampdown on opposition and civil rights following a failed military coup in 2016 against
President Racep Tayyip Erdogan (photo). A main reason? To protest a more pro-Islam stance on the part of Erdogan eroding the country’s secular traditions. Yes, there are coup attempts and civil rights violations in lots of countries, but this was a particularly atrocious one, of a scale that absolutely appalled me. Not just the leaders of the coup (more than 300 were killed) and perhaps some of their bases were arrested but hundreds of thousands, extending well into the civil
society including academics, journalists – more than 100 news organizations were closed - and teachers. More than 500,000 were detained and 127,000 arrested. Even judges (some 2700) were arrested and more than 1000 schools closed down. The attempt played into the hands of an authoritarian-minded Erdogan, long accused of civil rights violations, who called it “a gift from God” since it allowed him to purge virtually all significant opposition. One historian called it Turkey’s
Reichtag Fire. “Since the 2016 coup attempt, approximately 3 million citizens have been tried and 527,000 detained on terrorism-related charges in Turkey,” says
Wikipedia. These events have stayed in my mind ever since, and though I would love to visit the country for its historically rich culture, antiquities and people, I purposely have not. Until this trip, that is. I’m flying to
Thessaloniki in northern
Greece and the best way to get there is via Turkey. Well, the most convenient way. Flying Turkish Airlines from
Detroit via Istanbul was the quickest, most direct and $300-$400 cheapest way to get there compared to flying out of
Windsor via Toronto. So not only will I be flying on an airline I’d long decided to boycott I’ll be setting foot, if only for a five-hour layover at the airport, in the country’s largest city. It seems sometimes principles are compromised for expedience, right?
As for Turkish Airlines, some research is revealing. It serves more destinations non-stop and to 131 countries, more than any other airline. Meanwhile Istanbul Airport, built in only four years and opened in 2019 with just one single if humongous terminal (largest in the world), is the biggest privately-operated airport worldwide. And still adding more runways it's thought to eventually become the world’s busiest service 200 million annually. So, I will board the Turkish flight this week a little guiltily. But one bright spot: unlike most airlines – parsimonious to a fault – this one is offering not only one checked bag for free but two. But damn, I travel light.
- Ron Stang, Windsor Ontario Canada, a frequent traveller
No comments:
Post a Comment